Friday, August 20, 2010

Chicken & Pimiento Cheese Recipe

Oops, I meant to post this last week after I made it, but forgot. I found this recipe on www.eatingwell.com and it was delicious! Now, normally, I would put a whole lot more cheese, but since I am trying to watch what I eat I went by the recipe and it was a decent amount. I steamed some vegetables with it so all together my dinner was less than 300 calories! And, it was pretty easy to make too. Ok, here ya go. Let me know if you like it and if you have any ideas for changing it up a bit. :o)

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Pimiento Cheese

Ingredients

1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese, preferably smoked
2 tablespoons chopped scallion
1 tablespoon sliced pimientos, chopped
1 teaspoon paprika, divided
4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed and tenders removed (see note at the bottom)
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Combine Gouda, scallion, pimientos and 1/2 teaspoon paprika in a small bowl.
3. Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of each chicken breast, nearly through to the opposite side, and open like a book. Sprinkle the breasts with 1/4 teaspon each salt and pepper. Divide the cheese filling among the breasts, placing it in the center of each. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal. Sprinkle the breasts with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teasppon salt and pepper.
4. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the chicken over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165F, about 15 minutes. ***I didn't do this last part exactly like that, since I don't have the oven-proof skillet. Or a thermometer. I browned it like it said, then flipped the chicken over as I put it in a regular baking dish that had been sprayed with Pam. Worked just fine with the same time and temperature, etc.***

Nutrition Info

Per Serving:
Calories: 200
Fat: 10g
Sat: 3g
Mono: 5g
Cholesterol: 76mg
Carbs: 1g
Protein: 26g
Fiber: 0g
Sodium: 445mg
Potassium: 232mg


**Note** Chicken tenders are the lean strips of meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breasts. They can also be purchased separately. I think I'm going to start removing them from now on though....I got enough to make a pot of chicken soup for my dogs, saved me some moneys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment